Monday, September 14, 2009

Work in Progress

24" x 48"
Oil on Canvas


When work becomes pleasure again... It had been a number of months since I actually had the opportunity to play some golf. A few weeks ago, I REALLY got the itch- and then I started scratching! What amazes me the most about golf is just how addictive it can be. How can something so frustratingly unperfectable be so gloriously satisfying?

This latest piece is of Harmony Golf Preserve in Harmony, Florida. The painting is one of the largest I have done in a while. Two feet by four feet (that just sounds bigger than 24"x48")! It seems almost cliche when you hear an artist describe creating a painting as 'solving a series of problems' and 'dealing with the challenges presented in capturing a scene...'. I always thought that was a little over-glorified: "you're painting a picture for a living- how problematic and challenging can it really be?" But I'm starting to appreciate those sentiments. I look more and more forward to figuring out what layering technique will best capture the feeling of a late afternoon, Florida thunderstorm brewing. What process will actually make my water look wet? How can I make the viewer feel like they are actually standing on a tee box deciding how they want to play the hole? How can I create a bunker that looks like you could get in it and build a sand castle? Never mind having to deal with that annoying co-worker; I have to decide between a #2 round bristle brush and a #3 synthetic filbert!

Check back soon to see the completed painting!

To inquire about this original, click HERE.

To see other works, please visit my WEBSITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment